Pages

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

What's Black and White and Pink All Over?

My new painting!!

I went to an auction on Sunday with my mom. I've never been to one before. It was SO fun!! I highly recommend going to one if you've never been.

We went in and previewed everything and made a list of all the things we wanted to bid on and what the most we would pay is. I saw this painting right away and fell in love. It's huge (like over the fireplace huge) and it's of a densely wooded area. But it's eye level so you're not seeing a lot of foliage, mostly just tree trunks and branches. And then on tree at the front is flowering with white and pink blossoms. It's so very pretty and it works perfectly in my living room.

So I set my bid limit and only went over by $10! (yeah so much for limits)

I also got a lovely pair of peridot (my birthstone) earrings, a 19" flat screen tv for my bedroom, and a knife set for Sean.

I could seriously get addicted to the whole auction thing!

Emily had a major financial learning experience yesterday (I hope)  When I took her shopping last weekend she had $190 to spend. She's pretty good at being fussy about what she spends her money on, she doesn't nickle and dime herself to death but she does buy big ticket things. So she bought herself a pair of lululemon pants - a little longer than carpi's but not a full pant. (I don't know what you call them) Anyhow, after tax they cost her an obscene $90. Yeah, we're not going to go into my thoughts on this because I'm a cheap ass and there is no way I'd be paying $90 for a pair of stretchy pants but it's her money and how she spends it is up to her. As far as I'm concerned, it's the only way she'll learn to manage money. Well, the lesson came.

She decided the next day that she wanted return the pants. They fit her but there is no room for growth and she's growing like a weed. The problem is, she took the tag off. not the price tag tag but the other tag, the one you DON'T take off until you are 150% sure you're keeping them. So now she's stuck with them.

This sent her into tears about how she bought these pants that she'll only be able to wear a short time because she's growing and it's not the right season to wear them outdoors (for much longer) and how she wasted $90. BINGO!

It gave us the chance to reiterate why we refuse to buy her things like this. I'm not spending a small fortune on clothes that will only fit for a few months. And then she said it.

"Well, I don't want to be the only loser in school who doesn't have them."

Yeah. I get it. Really, I do. My parents couldn't afford the fancy, brand name clothes when I was in school and I didn't have an allowance that would have allowed me to buy those kinds of things. I did without. As did Sean. And we both turned out pretty good. But I still remember being her age and being envious of friends who had the cooler, brand name stuff and feeling kind of geeky without it. Which is why I don't stop her from buying it - with her OWN money.   It also gave us the chance to discuss our family's values, that it's not what you have that makes you a good or bad person, it's who you are inside.  You can be decked out in the hottest clothes and have the latest gadgets and be the most monumental bitch there is.

So, in the end, she's stuck with the pants. Mary will be thrilled when Emily grows out of them. Emily will think twice about spending that much on one piece of clothing and will, perhaps, take more time trying clothes on before buying them.

I went to the radiation clinic this morning to meet my radiation oncologist. He seemed quite nice. He explained what radiation would entail and he also gave me a bit more info regarding my particular cancer.  My cancer is HER2 positive. This means it's not a hormonally driven cancer and I won't be taking tamoxifen after radiation. It does mean it's more aggressive though. I will be taking Herceptin for about a year after chemo is done. This is an IV drug I'll be getting roughly every 3 weeks. They staging was on my form too. I'm Tx (primary tumor not found) N3 (this is the level of lymph node involvement - 3 being highest) and M0 (no distant metastasis)  
Basically, it means what I've thought all along. They can't find the primary tumor, there are lots of lymph nodes involved and no spreading (beyond the nodes) 

And what this all means is that I'm glad to be getting the chemo started on Thursday and hope and pray it does its job and does it well.

I'm having more up and down moments. I'm scared. I don't say it often but I am still truly terrified that it will spread or come up somewhere else years from now. But there is very little I can do about that so all I can do is keep on keeping on and live my life. 

Right now, however, I'm going to take a nap. Sleep is not my friend these days, my back and leg make it hard to get comfy and rolling over is painful. I often look like a turtle stuck on it's back.  It will get better.

It will.  

No comments:

Post a Comment