Pages

Friday, September 30, 2011

Friends

Everyone know the old adage that in times of crisis you find out who your friends really are. I'm here to tell you, it's the truth. I'm sure we all knew that anyway but when you live it, it's still a bit of a surprise.

The thing is, I'm not surprised about my family, I never doubted for a second they'd be here for me in any way they could. I'm also not surprised about my bff. After over 20 years of friendship I would have been more surprised if she wasn't there for me. I'm not surprised by my PP sisters. I've seen (and been a part of) the rallies to support others in our group during their times of crisis.

I think what surprises me most is how some people who I thought of casual acquaintances have really come out in full force to support me. I get regular emails, text messages and cards from a few people that, while I have always had great a report with never would have thought of as being someone I would look to to lean on during this time. And yet, I have, because they have so genuinely offered their shoulders and their help. And it's not just paying lip service as many offers of help in times of crisis are because they don't go away.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to sound like I'm bashing anyone or looking for anything specific but I'm sure everyone at some point has experienced a time in their lives in which they've had a crisis, big or small, and they hear "If there's anything I can do, please let me know"  I'll bet dollars to donuts that a good 80% of those offers are not really meant and if the recipient actually tried to take them up on it there would be a flurry of excuses on why it's just not possible at this time....with the most sincerest of apologies of course.  But I know it's meant because the offer keeps coming.  And I know it's sincere because, again, it's coming from people who beyond the occasional email about specific things, there is not really a reason for us to communicate....these are not necessarily people who I would have thought of as friends. They were acquaintances. Until now that is. I've learned a lot about friendship in the last couple of months and how it can bloom in the unlikeliest of places and for those new friends, the ones who are by my side, I am so grateful to have you.

I'm equally surprised by a few (thankfully a very few) amount of people who I know for sure know the situation who have yet to even acknowledge it with an "I'm sorry" or  "I'm thinking or praying for you" or a fake "If there is anything I can do"  Again, I've learned a lot about friendship.

But I'm not harping on those losses because the truth is, I'm surrounded by such love and strength and positive energy that I don't need them. I have my tried and true friends and I have my new friends and I'm blessed to have each and every one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment