Pages

Sunday, July 3, 2011

I'm Gonna Stick With Sewing

About 6 months ago I bought this bracelet on Etsy.


Hope and Believe - two words that dominate my life - for more reason than one. The two Swarovski crystals are light purple - the colour for cancer awareness. I put the Miraculous Mary medal on in May.

I love this bracelet, I never take it off. 

I also have this necklace from Citrus Silver.  Two of my daycare parents bought it for me when I closed my daycare last summer. It has Emily, Mary and Connor's names on it.   I never take this off either.

So the other day I was at Michaels and I saw the metal stamping kits. I thought to myself..."hey, you can do that!!"

It's not cheap though so I came home, printed myself a 40% off coupon and today I headed back to Michaels and bought the kit, plus some blanks. I got it home, unwrapped it, all excited to start but then realized that the stamps were quite large, too large for most of my blanks. They were  1/4".  So my mom kindly went back to Michaels and exchanged them for the smaller kit; 1/16". She also bought me a ballpeen hammer and a block.  So I took the first blank out and hammered out "Nana".  1/16" is very small. You need a magnifying glass to read it.

So off I went to Michaels again to exchange it, again, for the 1/4" set.  This time I  also bought some copper chain, large findings and some more blanks.  I came home and got everything set again.

Two problems. First - the 1/4" set is still too big for the blanks. Second -it's really not as easy as I thought it would be. It's not a case of hold the stamp and whack it. Because sometimes I don't hit it hard enough and the whole letter doesn't show up. Or sometimes I hit it too hard and it bends all weird.

In the end, I tried 4 different blanks and have decided that it's just not as easy (or fun) as I thought it would be.

So, for a forth time, I'm going to return to Michaels tomorrow and return this set. I hope they don't give me any trouble.

I'm kind of disappointed, I had great expectations.

But now I know.  I'll stick to sewing thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment