Pages

Saturday, June 25, 2011

It's Like Christmas!!

I'm going to admit that even though we are finally debt free, we do still live pretty close to pay check to pay check. Mainly because I like to shop and when I have extra money, I don't save it, it spend it.  So while my bills are always paid on time any extra money I have usually goes to frivolous things or fun things or things I want to buy for the kids that they don't really need.  Frankly, I don't work for my money so I can put it in a bank and not spend it. I have retirement savings, the kids have college savings so the rest is gravy.

Having said that, we're coming quickly to the end of the school year and because it's questionable whether or not I'll get unemployment insurance right away or they'll refuse me at first and I'll have to appeal - I should be planning for the summer of living solely on Sean's paycheck. We can do it but it means either no fun extras or putting those fun extras on our nice, nearly empty Visa and racking up a summer's worth of debt. Neither is an appealing option.

So the other day I did my budget for July. I made sure the bills were all paid, we had grocery and gas money and were able to pay the remaining balance on the Visa. It left me with some money, albeit, not a whole bunch and it also meant that our trip to Niagara Falls in July was going to be a Visa trip.

This morning I had an epiphany. On the toilet no less. When I did my budget I neglected to include a full paycheck. Yes, ladies and gentleman, two weeks worth of hard earned cash.

Now, suddenly, the clouds have parted, the sun is shining and I see a rainbow. Yes, a rainbow of money! It's like Christmas has come in July (I know it's not July yet, but that's when I get paid)

It's silly, I know but I'm beyond excited to be able to rework this budget to include this money so that, in fact, our Niagara Falls trip is cash trip and it won't be such a crappy summer after all.

"It's the most wonderful time of the yeeeeeaaaaaaar........."

No comments:

Post a Comment