Pages

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Huh?

I love all things Canadian. I love back bacon and beer. I love Rick Mercer and hockey (okay, actually I have no use for hockey but shhhh, don't tell anyone or I could be lynched....especially with a Canadian team in the Stanley Cup playoffs....go Canucks!)

And I take pride in knowing a lot about my country and what I don't know, I will gladly look up.

So imagine my surprise when the final Jeopardy question last night was one in which, while I did get the right answer to, it was only because I could translate the French, and not because I actually knew the answer.

It was something along these lines (I'm paraphrasing here...)

"This country's flag, newly adopted in 1965 is popularly known as L'unifolié"

One leafed?   Really??

Note the word in the clue that I've bolded. Popularly known as? Really??

I suppose in French speaking Canada it's popularly known as that but I've never, ever even heard it called that until last night.

The things you learn on Jeopardy.

No comments:

Post a Comment