Pages

Thursday, June 25, 2009

A letter of thanks

My dad's funeral is in a couple of hours. It's been a hard few days.
We all know that in times of crisis one often finds out who their true friends are but I think until we are ourselves faced with a crisis do we really understand how true that is.

I think for me it wasn't so much a matter of finding out who wasn't my friend but more of finding out how many people are there to support me, no matter the time that has passed in our friendship or the distance between us.

My very dear friend drove 2.5 hours to be there for me. Another very dear friend who I've only seen a handful of times in 7 years came out to be with me. She's lost both her parents and knows the sadness I feel. And of course my best friend who has always been there for me, no matter how shitty things are, has stood by my side through it all.

And there are so many people out there who I've never even met, our bond created by the birth of our babies, who have continued to offer me support, a kind word, an ear or (virtual) shoulder.

Losing our parents is something we all expect at some point in our lives but when it actually happens it's hard. Terribly hard. But I've been blessed with a wonderful group of people who have held my hand, hugged me and made this journey a little easier.

Thank you all for being there for me. And though I hope that none of you will ever need it, I will be there for you when you need comfort.

1 comment:

  1. I love you .. a

    nd will ALWAYS be there .. nothing would have stopped me from being there.

    You, mom, and everyone is in my thoughts today.

    ReplyDelete