Pages

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Blah

I'm afraid to look back at just how many of my posts have this very same title.

I'm feeling blah.

My financial woes are catching up to me and I'm starting to get that itch to go out and 'get a real job' in order to deal with this.

We got windows put on our house last year to the tune of $13,000. We were smart though and got them on deferred payment. You know, it's the ambitious plan where you say, "Sure I can pay that off in a year NO PROBLEM!!" and go on your merry way. Well, the reality is that sure, we paid off a computer on a deferred plan no problem - it was only $2000. We paid off a bedroom set on a deferred plan no problem, it was only $1000. But when it's this much....well, we didn't even make a dent.
So the choice was, take it at 28% accrued interest or put it on the line of credit at prime + 1. Well duh.
The problem is that now we have a maxed out line of credit so no safety net. This means, more than ever before, we live on cash.

However, this is the worst possible time and me in my shortsightedness, rather than jumping all over the 4 or 5 calls I've had for daycare I turned them away because they were infants.
And since then I've seen the error of my ways and have replied to every single daycare needed ad I've seen and nothing. Argh!! Payback's a bitch!

So, for now anyway, we're just getting by...and I hate that feeling. I'm hoping something turns around soon and I get a new kid in or a job offer with the school board...

I've discovered that it isn't likely that I'll get hired on to the two larger boards that I've applied for. You see, I'm white. I don't mean this is in a negative way but quite simply, I don't fit the demographic of big city Toronto. It is, after all, the most multicultural city in the world. That, however, puts me at a disadvantage for certain jobs. I'm still holding out for the two local boards though, as I'm more in keeping with the demographic here.

In the meantime, maybe I'll become a Passions Party consultant to make some extra money. I wonder though, how do I explain to Emily and Mary Jo where mom is going on a Saturday afternoon with a big rubbermaid bin. "Mom's just off to sell some dildos to some horny housewives sweetie. See you in a bit!"

Speaking of horny....a little tidbit for you all, and for one in particular....

I learned the word horny and it's meaning when I was 12 from my dear sweet cousin Sarah. And I remember clear as day her mother shooting the two of us the worst look when we were in the back of the car saying "That person is wearing green, she must be horny!" I don't remember what green clothes had to do with it but hell, I was 12 and I'd learned a new unacceptable word, yay me!

On an entirely different note, Mary Jo is having her First Communion next week. I am so excited for her. She's going to be so pretty in her dress. She's excited to be 'getting bread'. I hate to burst her bubble, I think she thinks the host will taste like vanilla wafer or something. Cardboard flavour is not high on the yum meter. She doesn't really get the significance, she's too young but she's excited to be wearing the beautiful dress and pretty shoes and having a party in her honour.
We're having the big dinner afterward, with, apparently, deep fried turkey. Sean's brother will be making it. Not sure what I think about that but I guess I'm happy it's one less thing for me to worry about cooking. HA!

Well, I've rambled enough. I'm going to go print up some daycare fliers and post them around the neighbourhood. Cross your fingers that the money tree starts growing soon!

2 comments:

  1. Lol, I have made 4 attempts at leaving a comment now, I really need a nap! I really didn't know that I had taught you that!! Too funny! Horny was about as bad ass as you could get at that age,lol; and my Mom still gives the same look!! Green clothes?? lol, I had a good laugh at that as most of my house is painted green!!
    For the record, I still love unacceptable words.
    Good luck to Mary-Jo, can't wait to hear all about it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It just occurred to me...my whole hallway is painted green and my living room furniture is green. Says a lot huh? LOL

    ReplyDelete