Pages

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Back to school

"It's the most wonderful time of the year!!!!!'

Don't get me wrong, I love the kids to death but holy hannah I'm glad they're going to back to school.
Summers are tough for them. I mean, they do get the luxury of being at home all summer, not in a daycare program but they are also bound to the house because of my daycare. I tried to free it up a bit for them this summer, my mom took them to my brothers to swim quite a few times and Sean took them out occasionally on his days off but for the most part they were stuck doing daycare things with me and the other kids. The two weeks off at the end of the summer was a welcome break for us all.

And now it's back to school time! Emily and her bff are not in the same class this year, for which I am grateful. I'm also ecstatic that one other kid did not return to their school this year. This kid, who was in their class with them for the past 2 years is a bully. Emily had a run in or two with her last year (and handled herself so well her teacher actually called us to let us know how proud she was of Emily)
Last week while we were at the trailer this girl called Emily, pretending to be Em's bff and left a message saying she didn't want to be her friend anymore. She called back and left another message pretending to be Emily's boyfriend (insert chuckle here) and said he was breaking up with her, followed by a string of profanities I haven't heard since the last time Sean fixed the car. So I called the little brat back and told her the next time she called my phone and left swear words on my answering machine I'd have a word with her mother. Needless to say she didn't call back.
And she didn't return to their school this year so there is one less headache for Em because 5th grade is going to be a toughy!

Mary Jo went without so much as a tear today (first time we got through the first day of school with no tears)
She has a new to the school teacher and I was worried about how this teacher would take Mary. I don't want her labeled but we all know she is two thing...a leader and not one to sit still and quietly for very long. However, anyone with any sort of passion for their jobs and understanding of child development should have no trouble in redirecting that energy in a positive way.
I have a friend who works in the school board and has reassured me that this teacher is a good one and that I should have no concerns (and was disappointed that her son didn't have her too)

And then there's me. It's my first day of school too. I was nervous as hell this morning but I'm okay now. My classroom number has been posted online which means all I have to do is find it. My anxiety isn't from getting lost in the school or my nervousness about being in a situation where I know nobody or that it is likely that I'll be the oldest one in my class by a good ten years, it's all about being late. I do not want to be late for school. I'm leaving almost 2 hours early because I don't know how long the commute will take and then I have to find parking and find my class. And I'm terrified I'll be late. If it weren't for the daycare kids being here today I'd leave at 4 for a 7 pm class. Loser, I know.

Well, that's it for the first day of school so far. I guess we'll see later on how all three of us liked it!

No comments:

Post a Comment