Pages

Thursday, August 13, 2009

RIP Kerby

Poor Kerby.

For those of you in the know, Kerby was the daycare frog. For those of you out of the loop, you can read about him here.

It's been a cooler than usual summer. We've had a fair bit of rain but not the humidity we are so accustomed to. Until the last week or so that is. We've had a couple of torrential storms and it's been muggy, to say the least. So poor Kerby has been a little neglected.
Last night Emily asked me to help her catch some ants to feed Kerby. They hadn't fed the frog in two days.
So we caught some ants and dropped them in the aquarium, only to realize that Kerby was a little too still. He was frozen on top of a snail. So I said to Emily, "I'm sorry to tell you this but Kerby has died"

It's not bad enough that this poor child has to go to counselling because she's having trouble dealing with the grief of losing her Papa but now her frog. I offered for us to bury Kerby in the garden but she said no, trying to keep a stiff upper lip. That lasted about a minute and my poor little dear burst into tears.

I'm sure nothing would have made her feel better at that point but I let her know how proud I was of her (and how proud she should be of herself) that she was able to keep that little frog alive for so long. If it weren't for her (and the daycare kids) the frog probably wouldn't have lived half as long as it did.
She ended up deciding to bury it in the garden so now Kerby has a nice new resting place, marked by his favourite rock.

Life is just never easy, is it.

No comments:

Post a Comment