Pages

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Three Weeks

The countdown is on to my return to work. I'm getting nervous now.

As much as I want to get back I've settled into my being at home routine. I've never been a stay at home mom before. I was home with the kids for 8 years but I was working at home, not free to do what I want, when I wanted. But since September, besides my treatments and appointments (and bed ridden days) my days have been my own.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to be a stay at home mom. I love having a life outside of my kids. I've got a fabulous job because it allows me to be home when the kids are: summer, march break, Christmas....but I get to have a life, colleagues, money. I get to use my brain and have adult conversations.

It will be a challenge for a while. Sean will go back to working nights so that we don't have to find child care for Connor. So our time as a couple and as a complete family will be drastically reduced. Sean hasn't worked nights in almost 5 years so we'll all need to adjust.

I'm looking forward to having money again, even if it's only for a short time. I'm not going to get enough hours in before summer break to get unemployment for the summer. So I've got to make the most of the money I'll be getting from the end of April to mid July.

I've been working on another quilt. At the Relay on June 1st they are having a silent auction. As part of it, each team is allowed to submit one item that will go toward their total fundraising total. So I thought I'd make a quilt to submit it for our team.

I've got it all put together and I have to say, I really like it. Kind of wish I could have it. Might even bid on it myself. It's quite large; it would fit a double bed and that is where I'm running into a problem. It's too large for me to quilt with the sewing machine.


So, I've watched some YouTube videos and heard from some of my mom's friends and have decided to try hand quilting it.

There are 12 small squares on the quilt that I'm going to quilt around. It takes me an hour and a half to quilt around one square. I've done two so far. I've got a ridiculous sore in my index finger now but I'm sure that will turn into a callous and I won't feel it. Gross, but productive.

I have to have the quilt done by the end of May. No problem.

I think after that I might make a quilt for myself...one that I actually get to keep!

No comments:

Post a Comment