Pages

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Busy Busy

I'm not really one to analyze dreams. From what I understand it's part of the mind's way of converting short term memories to the long term side of the brain. So they aren't mystic messages from the other world and they don't have any deep seeded meanings. Your brain is just doing some filing.

Last night I had a dream that we were going to the Relay. But we were late. In my dream it was 6:00 and we still hadn't even taken the camping gear out of the crawlspace. I was trying to drag the basin out and the basement and up the stairs (we keep all of our camping gear in a giant Rubbermaid bin) and I was crying because I knew we were never going to get there in time and I was going to miss the Survivor Victory Lap.

I'm sure this dream was because the Relay has been forefront in my mind for the last month or so but I couldn't help thinking about why I was dreaming about being late for it and missing the lap. I'm not late for things, ever. I'm habitually early actually. And I signed up for the victory lap shortly after my diagnosis - I'm not going to miss it.

I'm excited about the Relay. Probably more excited than I am about going back to work. I don't think I can explain it properly. It's just the feeling of community, of hope, of celebration and even of mourning. But everyone is there for the same reason and you feel a sense of strength in numbers. 

Last year I spent a lot of time walking the track alone. I'd already found the lump in my armpit and had seen the doctor. I knew then it was cancer - deep down I knew. I hoped and prayed it wouldn't be - but sometimes you just know. And I knew. So I spent a lot of time thinking about it,  what the battle would be like and if I would win.

This year's Relay will be different. I am a survivor this year so I'm not walking just in the memory of my Dad but also in celebration of my victory.

Our Spring Tea Fundraiser is almost sold out. We've sold 33 tickets so far (we have room for 40) I'm so excited. That's nearly $500 raised in ticket sales alone! We've got the baskets for the basket raffle put together and ready to go. So we've just got to get started on the menu.




My Uncle has very generously offered to match anything we raise again this year up to $5000. In a perfect world we'd raise that full $5000 (for a total of $10,000) but it's not meant to be this year. So if we can get over the $2500 hump to put us at our $5000 goal, I'll be stoked. As you can see by my ticker, we've got a long way to go.

But if I can beat cancer, I can raise $2500.

Tomorrow we are headed to Great Wolf Lodge in Niagara Falls for 2 days. We still haven't told the kids. I'm thinking we'll tell them they have doctor's appointments for needles tomorrow. Ha, I'm evil! I'm not sure they'll buy that though since the DVD player will be in the car (Connor doesn't travel well so we need the distraction for long drives). Either way, we're not telling them where we're going until we pull into the parking lot. 

Sean and I are celebrating our 14th anniversary on Wednesday. Wow. 14 years. We've been through a lot and have come out on top. I am so lucky to have him.

I've got a sewing list a mile long to tackle still. I'm halfway done hand quilting the quilt I made for the Relay silent auction.  Once I got the hang of it it's not hard, but quite time consuming. It's not perfect but I'm pleased with it and hope it draws a good penny.



I'm also going to tackle making Emily a pair of pajama pants - my first time sewing with a pattern. I'm sure I'll be calling my mother upstairs every 15 minutes to guide me through it.


And I've got to get my work life together. I've got a load of books, toys, games and other resources that I need to get to work. I think I'll bring them in next Friday so  don't have a load to take on my first day back. I've got to get my work clothes out of Mary's closet and back into my own - and ironed.

It's going to be a busy week but  fun one, no doubt. And before you or I know it, I'm going to be back to work.

Life goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment