Pages

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

How My Christmas Tree Mirrors My Life

Yesterday one of the boys in my class gave me a craft foam Christmas tree ornament for my tree. He decorated it with sequins and glitter glue. I went to him later in the day and asked him to put his name on the back of it.

I see a lot of Christmas trees in the malls, at friends and at family's houses and I have to say, my tree is truly unique.

There is no rhyme or reason to my tree. There is no colour scheme. There is no (identifiable) theme. It is not uniform. It is pure chaos, eclectic and disorganized - much like my day to day life.

But there's a secret. There is a theme to my tree (hence 'identifiable' being in brackets) My tree represents my life.

Once upon a time there was a colour scheme and sophistication to my tree. But over the years those ornaments have been replaced. There's the teddy bears that represent the first Christmas Sean and I spent together. There is the Baby's First Christmas for all three kids. There are about 10 Simpson's ornaments - all Sean's. There's my Rudolph one.  Next summer when I go to the Ex I'm stopping at the booth in the arts and craft building and getting my Leg Lamp ornament and Ralphie dressed as a 'pink nightmare' ornament (if you don't get the reference....A Christmas Story - best Christmas movie ever....go rent it!! NOW!!)

I also have no less than 20 ornaments given to me by kids over the years. Yes, I keep them all. And they all have the names of the kids who made them and the date.  My oldest one is an upside down, snowman star ornament that was given to me by a girl named Ashley in 1994. Yep, I still have it.

It might not be pretty, it might not be sophisticated (much like me!) and you will never see my tree in Better Homes and Gardens but my tree has meaning ..... every single square inch is a memory...and I wouldn't have it any other way.

3 comments:

  1. oh, except for I don't really like "A Christmas Story" I prefer It's a Wonderful Life and Miracle on 34th Street-the black and white versions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh me too - and A Christmas Carol (but it has to be the one with Alistair Sim)
    And of course National Lampoons Christmas Vacation. ;)

    ReplyDelete