Pages

Thursday, March 24, 2011

The One in Which I Complain About Winter Driving.

There are so many places I could go with this post.

I worked from home for 8 years but it didn't make me spoiled. I also worked outside of the home for 10 years and for much of that I had to commute from one city to another to work. I truly do not mind commuting, I enjoy the quiet, the solitutude of me and my music or talk radio and my thoughts.
I also don't mind winter driving. I am after all Canadian and while I know it sounds cliche, the truth of the matter is, I don't know any different. I was born and raised here, there is a solid chance of snow anytime from November (sometimes October) to March (sometimes April - hell, my husband can tell stories of still having ice in the harbour on his birthday in mid June - but he was much further north)

So, for the past two weeks the tempuratures have been rising. We've been up as high as 15 degrees (Celcius) All the snow had melted.

But then it happened. SNOW in TORONTO!

Yesterday I had to go to a workshop for work. I had to drive from my city to another to pick up a co worker and then to another city for the workshop. In total the whole drive was about 70 km. Factoring in rough hour traffic the drive should not have taken longer than 2 hours. I pikced up my co worker at 7 am to be there for 9. We got there at 10. We got there because I drove 7 km/h on the highway for roughly 15 km. Insane.  But it gets better.

Going home we needed to leave that city, stop in another city to get her kids, go back to her city and then back to mine. Tack another 10 km at most onto the drive.
We left at 2:45. I got home at 7:45.  Yeah, 5 hours to make what should have been a 2 hour drive.

And the reason for this insanity. We got snow. But don't be fooled. We didn't get 4 feet of snow. We didn't even get 1 foot of snow. We got about 7 cm of snow. Yes my American friends, we got 2.8 inches of snow. In Canada. And apparently that means the end of the world as we know it.

I shudder to think the chaos an event like in Japan would bring to my fellow Canadians.

It's 6:30 now. I have to be at work by 8:15. It SHOULD only take 20 minutes. I better leave now.

I leave you with a video. It's about how frustrated I feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment