Pages

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Hope hope hope

Professionally speaking, I'm pretty spoiled. I've worked from home for 7 years and in that time I've made sure that I've had clients who were co operative, easy going, viewed child rearing in much the same way I do and most important of all, I've had fantastic kids to care for.

That's not to say it's always been sunshine and lollipops. I've had my share of kids that have turned my hair grey in a few short hours or parents who have treated me like their 15 year old babysitter. But the advantage to being the boss is that I don't have to tolerate that. For a while I was known in my circle of fellow home daycare providers as the one week provider because I would have clients who didn't make it through the probation period. I'm particular.


See the thing is, I've been around this block before. I opened my daycare in 2003 and by 2005 I was burning out. It took over my house, my family and my life. I was stressed all the time and miserable and so I closed my daycare and went back to work in a centre. And guess what. That saying the grass isn't always greener on the other side....it's true. I was miserable from my first day at work because I missed my kids so much I couldn't breathe. I was jealous of Sean being home (he still worked nights) My marriage took a hit because Sean and I would only see each other 2 evenings a week. When I lost the baby it was an eye opener. It was the last straw. I quit my job an reopened my home daycare - but this time I was wiser.


I vowed that I would not take clients that stressed me out (parents or kids alike) I also vowed that when the last child left for the day, that was it. I was done. I would give it my all for the time the kids were here but when my work day was done - it was done.


For the most part I've stuck to it. I do have some times when I still feel the stress (think 5 months of toddler adjusting to daycare - a family I probably would have let go if not for my loyalty to another client and the willingness of Mom and Dad to really and truly work with me to help him out - not just pass the buck with a 'he's your problem now' attitude.

And there have been clients in the last 4 years who've been given their walking papers before the probation period is up (think co sleeping 13 month old who would not sleep even one wink here) but for the most part I've had what are called "golden families" and I'm happy about that.

So two of my clients are now on mat leave and while their little ones still come it's only two days a week so the money situation is a bit tight. I've decided to fill another spot (I'm allowed 5 kids at any given time but I prefer to stay at 3 or 4) So I've been interviewing people. After the 'I don't need to sleep' baby incident I've decided that except for existing clients I will not be taking babies anymore. I'm just getting too old. I'm not interested in baby care (and having had the opportunity to ooh and aaah over a clients 6 day old baby yesterday I've confirmed in my heart - I am DONE having children.) Now that 6 day old baby will be a client a year from now (barring any unforeseen circumstances) but since his parents are part of the 'golden family' group I'm okay with taking that baby.

Interviewed with a woman a few weeks ago (she came on referral) Except for my first few interviews when I was just starting out and not confident in my abilities, I have never been so uncomfortable. The mom didn't crack a smile and I just got that "you'll never do anything right" vibe. So um, no, thanks, don't need the business that bad. I had a promising email but when the mom said she wanted to know my fees because she wanted the best care at the best possible price....well that shot that to hell. I didn't tell her my fees, stating that I want parents to meet me and see my program and space and make a decision based on the whole package...not just the price. I take real issue with people who nickle and dime something as important as the care of their children and she clearly wasn't the client for me.
Then I got another promising email. Someone who's little one is the same age as the other toddlers I care for. And she's a full timer. And she doesn't actually need daycare until August. It couldn't get much better!! So we interviewed last night. Mom and Dad seemed really nice and the little girl was sweet. It was also the quickest interview I've ever had. In fairness, I emailed her a copy of the handbook so that answered a bulk of the questions beforehand but it was hard to get a read on them.

It's not often I say this but I am hoping against hope that they chose me. I want this one. Bad. Financially it is fabulous. And age/development wise she'll fit right in.

So now I wait. I hate waiting. I'll wait until the end of March and then email mom and find out if she's taking the spot or not.

So for all your prayers out there, throw one up for me. And for the rest of you, cross your fingers and toes....

No comments:

Post a Comment