Pages

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mothers Day

It's hard to write while dodging the obvious because there is a lot I'd like to say. In good time though.

It's Mother's Day. I'm not usually a big fan of this day. Not that there is anything wrong with Mother's Day but I feel about it the same way I do about Valentine's Day. Do we need a whole day set aside to tell our Mothers how much we love and appreciate them? And if we do, what does that say about our relationship with our Mothers? Not much I think.
I tell my Mom everyday that I love her. Of course I have the obvious advantage of living with her so there is more than enough opportunity. I'm sure I don't always show my gratitude for all she has done/does for me (and our family) and I know I'm not always the most pleasant person to live with but all the same, I think she knows.

I certainly don't mind the extra pampering I get today, sleeping in, breakfast, dinner but for me, and especially more so after having battled infertility and loss and becoming virtual friends with so many women who have struggled a lot harder and longer than I have to become mothers and so many who have yet to be blessed with children, I see the bigger picture. Everyday is Mothers Day for me. Everyday that I get to hug my Mom. Everyday that I get to kiss my kids.

I think if anything, this day makes me reflect on those who don't have their moms anymore and those who struggle to become moms and my heart goes out to them and I think about how very lucky I am.

1 comment:

  1. YOU my friend are one of the greatest moms out there, and you are my friend, and I'm proud to say so ..

    losing my mom at 13, I don't like mother's day at all .. :(

    ReplyDelete