Pages

Saturday, May 7, 2011

DUH!

My fellow Canadians, we must put a stop to this insanity. This insanity of books with both a Canadian price and and American price (remind me again why we pay two dollars more for a book when our dollar is worth more??)  We need to stop wrapping paper and greeting cards with the same. 
But most importantly we need to put an end to balance scales with both lbs and kgs on them.

It would seem that all this time I've been going to the gym, I've been reading the scale wrong. Yeah, I'm that stupid.

You see, the main slider on the scale is in lbs. That I can handle because frankly I'd have a better chance of telling you the winning lottery numbers for the next three draws then I'd have of converting my weight from lbs to kg. I don't know the conversion. (I think it's 2.2 kg per lb but let's be honest, I use the tool on my phone to convert for me)

But I digress. The main slider is in lbs. So I move that sucker up to 150. (One day I won't have to!) Then I move the little slider to around the 6. And it balances. So I've assumed I've been around 156 all this time. No dill hole, you aren't because that 6....that 6 is kg. and if you convert that to lbs it is close to 14. Which means I'm actually 164 lbs.

I'm going to barf.

I did my measurements this morning.
39.5", 36", 43"
So apparently and half inch fell from my boobs and landed on my ass.

Oh wait, shouldn't I be measuring that in cm? Hells no, then the numbers are even bigger.

Here's the thing. I'm not going to the gym as often as I should be. Sometimes only once a week. That needs to chance. I've got a new click in my knee since I've started jogging on the treadmill and I'm certain part of that is doe to really poor footwear but I can't justify spending a small wad on good running shoes if I'm not 100% sure I'll continue trying to run - it's a catch 22.  But I'm starting to loathe the elliptical.

The other issue is food. And my love for it. And my pathetic inability to not eat everything I love when I see it.

I was talking to one of the other teachers the other day and I was remarking that during Lent it is so simple to give up something without a second thought. I've given up chicken wings, coffee, chocolate, Latte's....Sean even gave up beer once.  I have been able to do all of that and it's never felt like a burden. I'll admit I've looked forward to Sunday's in Lent so I could indulge again but I didn't go overboard. I've have 1 Latte or 1 chocolate chip cookie.

So why is it during ordinary time I can't do the same? Why can't  I say "I'm going to control myself and eat like a healthy person" without going bonkers and gorging on pizza or chicken wings?

I'm going to conduct a little experiment. I'm going to pretend it's perpetual Lent. And here is my sacrifice. I'm going to eat right - all week - Monday to Friday. A healthy breakfast, my packed lunch of salad, yogurt and fruit and no snacks from the school snack program!!  And for supper I'm going to have Sean dish out my plate - he's my portion control. And that's it. If I want a snack it will be fruit, veg, or yogurt. I will still indulge, on weekends, but one day only. Saturday or Sunday, I allow myself to have the yummy stuff I've given up all week. Just like during Lent.

I'm going to do this for 1 full month. I'm also going to start going to the gym 3 times a week again.

It was a hell of a disappointing wake up call to see that I'd read that scale wrong. I feel like a cow and I don't want to anymore.

So, let's see how this goes.

3 comments:

  1. Bet I can make yu feel a bit better. Brought home my dress from a friends to try all the accessories etc. with it and take a pic with my phone for the hairdresser. Bought the dress last October-I have since, as you know, developed a problem with my stupid foot which has resulted in a 3 lb weight gain. I RIPPED the zipper right out of the dress. There is no way the 3 pounds did that but my 4 months witout walking or working have made me a bit (A LOT) on the squishy side!! I've been slowly getting back into things but will have to step that up. Bit tramatic (for somone who spent years starving themselves)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YIKES!! It's amazing how lbs and inches don't seem to coincide isn't it? No worries, you fix the zipper and you've got plenty of time to fit back in to the dress in a healthy way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll do great, by the way; sounds like a great plan. Why do they still use those damn scales anyway? They are impossible.
    Oh...and buy new footwear! I know it's easier to say than do but it's not something to cheap out on. Good cross trainers should be enough, I would think. Unless you're planning to run a marathon.

    ReplyDelete