Pages

Monday, May 23, 2011

Can I Get An Amen?!

Where were you when the world ended?

I have to wonder about the people who actually believe all this crap? The Rapture will occur on May 21st at 6 pm? December 21, 2012?

Of course it occurs to me that these crackpots spewing this business would be regarded the same way as say, for instance, Jesus would have been. What? The Son of God? Puh-leaz!

It occurs to me that when there is an actual second coming - if it were to happen the same way as it did before - who's going to believe Him? I mean, I've met people claiming to be Jesus on the subway. And in our days of medical advancement you can be sure the Dr's would be all up in Mary's yahoo trying to prove or disprove she was a virgin. And how does one do a DNA test on the Son of the Almighty?

I'm not saying there wouldn't be believers - faithful, those who didn't need to the 'proof' but I think the world is more full of those 'doubting Thomas's' than it was before (of course, there are billions more people on Earth than there were 2000 years ago as well so your chances of having more skeptics are exponentially increased)  But then, there are lots of people who truly believed the world was going to end on Saturday night.  Wow - what a let down. Seriously, I read about one guy who was downright depressed that the world didn't end. He said, Heaven has to be a hell of a lot better than this (no pun intended).  I'm inclined to think this fellow will be hurling himself off a bridge any day now but it would be counter productive, suicide is the ultimate sin - here has to be a hell of a lot better than Hell.

No matter what you believe, faith-wise, it will happen. The world will undoubtedly end. That is just a scientific fact. Our sun is a star and stars burn out. And without the sun - well, you took 8th grade science. You know.   But - whether or not there are still humans around is another story. Will we have already been judged? Will we have evolved into something completely different - a super species? Will we (what's the opposite of evolve?) go backwards - and some other species will surpass us on the food chain? Will we have killed ourselves with pollution and chemicals before science has a chance to or God has a chance to judge us?

Who knows?

And there's the point. 

When the world ended at 6 pm on May 21st, 2011, I was sitting in my bff's backyard, sipping a delicious red wine from Argentina, eating a giant hamburger and laughing at how she says 'wh' words like Stewie on Family Guy "Would you like some Cool WhoooIP?"

And when the world ends again on December 21, 2010 - well I don't know the actual time the world is scheduled to end but I'll either be at work having a Christmas party with my class or at the mall getting my last minute Christmas gifts.

Life goes on. Stop worrying about when that will change and Live.

No comments:

Post a Comment