Pages

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

I love my computer because my friends live in it.

The title of the post was a blinkie I saw on FF. I always got a chuckle from it. And I just learned how really fitting and true it is.

My computer crashed over the New Years long weekend. My only saving grace was that my mom got a laptop for Christmas so I was still able to get online, albeit not as easily as I can with my computer. Odd really, you'd think a laptop would make life easier for me, internet on the go but I've discovered that despite my families opinions I do a whole lot more on the computer than just surf the net.

I took 400 pictures in the time that the computer was gone (I took it in on January 2nd and got it back last night (Jan 5th)) 400 pictures in three days. And I couldn't look at them, edit them, print them....

I recently rewrote most of my daycare forms in Word and hadn't yet saved them to a stick so I wasn't able to access any of those files. Again, the saving grace was that my printer is a copier but in those three days I had two inquiries into daycare and couldn't email the policies to the parents.

My iPod is slowly dying and before the computer crashed I had been using iTunes so I wasn't completely sure that it wasn't iTunes that caused the crash so I didn't plug my iPod into my mother's computer for fear of killing her computer.

But back to that blinkie...
I am a work at home mom. So the extent of my adult interaction during the day is with my mom or...you got it....online.
Sean works bizarre and long hours. So my social life is planned out even more than the average parent. He rarely gets off work at the time he's supposed to and that puts a kibosh on making plans on work nights. So again, in order to keep in contact with friends...it's online.
We are no longer a landline family. We use cell phones and while I don't mind chatting a bit on the phone, I'm really not a phone person. I'm busy...all the time...and when I do have a free moment, no offence to anyone, but I don't want to talk to you. I'd rather fire off an email to catch up because I can continue to multitask that way.

There is one other thing. See, besides family and a few close friends, my social circle consists of a lot of people I've never even met. And the prospect of not being able to chat with them made me sad. Where else am I going to hear a story about how one friend peed on her sisters head in a shopping cart when they were kids. (hahaha...I loved that story!!) I have unlimited parenting resources at my fingertips and not just any parenting resources but ones from people who are going through the exact same thing I am because their kids were born at the same time as mine.
Any time one of them throws me for a loop I can fire off a message and within minutes I have suggestions, sympathy and even some playful teasing.

And if I didn't have my internet I wouldn't have that.

So I guess the long and short of it is that yes, I am a junkie for my computer but I'm also willing to admit it, have no desire to seek help for it. I have not turned into one of those hermits who wears sweats and hides in the basement while in chatrooms. But I'm not getting rid of my computer anytime soon. I'd be lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment