Pages

Friday, April 27, 2012

Why I Love Working With Kids

Kids are awesome. Plain and simple.

They're funny. They're smart. They're talented. It's exciting to see a child learn something. It's exciting when a kid who is troubled - carrying much more weight than a 5 or 6 year old should - gets excited by something that you or I wouldn't think much of.

We germinated seeds last week. We put seeds in wet paper towels and hung them in Ziploc bags on the windows of our class. Today, one by one I invited the kids to my table to see if their seed had started to grow and to transplant them to pots so they could take them home. Some of them only had small little roots starting and some of them had full on plants started. And every single one of them was excited about what they'd done.

Today while walking in from recess one of my boys said to me, "Mrs. D, George called me stupid Frankie!" 

I called George over and said, "George, did you call Frankie stupid?" 

George said, "Yes."  Quite matter of fact. He's owning his wrong doing.

I said, "Well then what do you think you need to say to Frankie?"

George looked at me. He looked at Frankie. He looked at me again, pointed at Frankie and said (with a totally serious look on his face)  "Stupid?"

Yeah, not the word I was going for. And yet, as much as I need to correct this and let him know that the "S" word he's looking for is Sorry.....inside I was laughing because he was so deadpan about it.

It's little things like that that make my day complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment