Pages

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Down to Once a Year

It never fails to amaze me when the entrance to the cancer centre is surrounded by smokers...some wearing hospital gowns.

I understand addiction, I was a smoker for years and I was just this side of becoming addicted to pain pills this past year. I'm still wary of even taking Advil now. But come on...smoking right in front of the cancer is kind of like a slap in the face to some of those patients. At least walk 50 ft up the sidewalk to the street.

I went to see my radiation oncologist today for my check up. I can't believe it's been a year since I finished chemo. I'm posting from my phone so I can't be sure but I think right about this time last year I was struggling with the residual effects of my final treatment and getting ready for radiation. Wow, it all seems so long ago and yet just yesterday. It's surreal.

My appointment went well. It was just a check in and to arrange for my mammogram for next June. The great news was that I don't have to see him again for a year. Sean isn't happy about that, I know he'd rather I had appointments every three months along with ct scans and bloodwork and an MRI or two. I'd rather get on with life.

And the less time I have to spend in the cancer centre....the better. I'm too comfortable there and that makes me uncomfortable.

1 comment:

  1. :)
    I looked after a lady a few years ago who was diagnosed with breast cancer-and never even tried to quit. Chemo and smoking-well, you know how that went and the truth is I'm a bit mean when I talk about it. We owe it to ourselves to try everything we can. Addictions are something everyone deals with in one way or another-good for you!! A whole year!
    xo

    ReplyDelete