Pages

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Answer to the riddle, church and more riddle fun.

I'm very sorry for the delay. I've been so busy lately that when I get to the computer I check in on FF, the Pumpkin Patch and Facebook and then I have to get to other things.

So - the answer to the riddle..... A river.
And now when you see the answer you go...oh, yeah, that makes sense! I did too.

Mary Jo is making her first Reconciliation tonight. For my non Catholic friends this is our second of 7 sacraments. It is where we begin confessing to our sins and asking God for forgiveness. It's also a lead up to First Communion (which she'll be doing in the spring.)
Truth be told, it's one of the sacraments I'm not a giant fan of. I don't see it necessary to confess my sins to a Priest and ask him for absolution. I know what I've done wrong, God knows what I've done wrong and as long as I am truly sorry and ask him (in my own way) for forgiveness, He will forgive me.
But - in order for Mary J to be able to move on to her First Communion and Confirmation she must do it. And while I will encourage her to do so, the fact of the matter is my first confession when I was 7 was also my last. I'm always brought back to the line in the Alanis Morissette song Forgiven "I confessed my darkest deeds to an envious man"

This brings me to something else though. It's not secret that I am a buffet style Catholic. I pick and chose from my religion what works for me (no confession but Eucharist at every mass I attend) Up until now I only went to church when I needed to. Needed to because I was getting married or I was having a baby and wanted her or him Baptised or one of my kids is due to receive a sacrament. I'm a Chr-Easter Catholic. However, having to go and ask Father for a recommendation letter to apply to the Catholic school board, combined with Mary having her reconciliation have brought me back to going to church regularly.

The thing is, I'm discovering that I actually enjoy going to church. I feel comfortable. I feel peaceful (when I'm not telling Mary to be quite) I especially enjoy listening to Father's homilies. See, he's kind of a quite, straight guy and every now and then he'll throw a joke in and it's surprising which makes it ever funnier. And he's able to make the readings and the Gospel more relevant. The last few weeks I've come out of mass feeling more inspired. It could just be that I've found my way back to my church. Imagine that.

Of course, Connor is not ready for it, he can't sit that still or quiet and I don't like the location of our cry room so I'll continue to go as long as I don't have to bring him with me. He's got time before I have to start really bringing him.

And just for shiggles....another riddle for you.
First person to reply with the right answer gets a virtual prize!

What word becomes shorter even if you add to more letters to it?

3 comments: