Pages

Thursday, February 11, 2010

It's the little things....like ketchup

I'm out of ketchup. Not really a tragedy, I know. I can always pick up some more tomorrow. But I made hamburgers for supper. I really really need ketchup on my burger.

So I did what I always do when I'm out of something. I went downstairs to raid my mom's fridge.

When I was a kid my brothers and I used to joke that my Dad would put ketchup on his cereal if he could. My dad ate ketchup with everything. Sean used to say that my dad would ruin a perfectly good steak by smothering it with ketchup. My dad was so known for his ketchup consumption that my Uncle actually joked about it in my dad's eulogy.

So I went downstairs to steal some ketchup and lo and behold, there was none. My mom is not a ketchup connoisseur. Since my dad died she rarely buys milk (she's allergic) She buys small amounts of butter because it actually sits so long it goes bad. And, I guess, she doesn't buy ketchup. Those were my dad's things.

It made me sad. Not because I had to eat my burger without ketchup but because if he was still here with us, I wouldn't have had to. There would have been ketchup. Having no ketchup is just another reminder that he's not here either and that just plain sucks.

Ironically, my dad would have never, in a million years, put ketchup on a burger. Apparently ketchup was not made to be eaten on hot dogs or hamburgers (but was made for t- bone steaks?!?!)

So, in honour of my dad, I ate my hamburger Mike style....ketchup free.

1 comment:

  1. I love remembering the little things about loved ones! This summer it will be seedless watermelons that bring back memories.

    ReplyDelete