Pages

Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mother's Day

Happy Mother's Day to all the mom's out there who are reading this. 

13 1/2 years ago I became a mom and it was the single greatest moment in my life ( x 3 ). Without my children my life would feel hollow. 

Mothering is not for everyone and I know several couples who have remained childless by choice, whatever makes you happy, but for me, I know of no greater gift than the gift of your child's love. 

And yes, I mean all of those heart warming sentiments when my children are making me feel insane or when I'm telling one of them for the 39000th time to not leave their socks in the dining room or yelling at them to stop doing cartwheels in the house or that baseball is an outdoor game. 

Where would I be without my children? 

I'd probably be planning a more exotic vacation than Orlando for the summer. I'd most definitely not be driving a mini van, maybe a Jaguar or a Charger instead. My house would be clean and a lot more fashionable and modern. My backyard would have grass - not patches of grass. I'd wear beautiful clothes, not mom jeans and yoga pants. I'd have a full social life. 

Sounds great right!? Hell, there are many days that that sounds like paradise. 

But do you know where else I'd be without my children? Probably 6 feet under.

There is no way I would have beaten cancer if I weren't a mom. The simple fact is, the trips, the car, the nice house and clothes, the fab social life, those are all wonderful but hardly worth living for. 

Emily, Mary Jo and Connor are my reasons for being. They are the reason I get out of bed everyday. They are the reason I go to work, they are the reason I come home. 

When I was sick I ended most of my posts with "I will beat this. I have to. I have too much to live for." 

I gave my children life. And they gave me a reason to live. 

On this Mother's Day I pray for everyone to find that reason to live. Whatever that reason may be. 

And for those women whose arms are empty  - whether it be by choice, loss or infertility, I pray that your heart is filled. 

No comments:

Post a Comment