Pages

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

30 Things - #17

To see what this is all about click here

I'd forgotten all about this and then noticed in my blog stats that someone had been reading the first 16 things...so I thought I should continue.

17. What is the thing you most wish you were great at?

I wish I was great (or even good for that matter) at small talk.

Yup, small talk.

See, when I'm with friends talking is no problem. I can talk about anything. If I'm with strangers I can talk about work - I'm good at my job and I love my career and can talk endlessly about it. I can also talk about cancer - not such a fabulous topic but unfortunately one I'm more learned in than I ever wanted to be.

But to be in a group of people (strangers or even acquaintances) and make conversation off the cuff - I'm terrible at it. And I think it hinders me. I think it makes it harder for people to get to know me. I think people mistake my shyness for snobbishness and that's just not the case.

In fact, I'm a nice, witty, intelligent person and I have a fun, wild side to me. It just takes me some time to relax and show that.  I'm an observer and I like to watch people, learn what they're about and try to engage them with that but time is not always on my side for that.


Maybe I need to wear a sign.


                                       

or

                                     


or how about this?

                                      

 

or, just for shiggles, how about one of these?


 

 


                                    

Okay, so not the last three - though some days I feel like that. Don't we all?


1 comment:

  1. lmao! I feel like that more days than not!

    ReplyDelete